Tuesday 21 August 2018

Marae Visit

On Tuesday the 21st of August my class (T3) went to the Arahura Marae. When we first got there we had to grab our buddies and line up under a little shelter. We had to be karanga onto the marae witch means welcomed. 

Once we got to the Marae we had to take our shoes off and sit down on the seats provided. Then Matua T said a long speech in Te reo about the marae and its background. 

After that we sang a song because its polite to sing after someone has given a speech. Then we all stood up and gave the people that own the marae a hongi. A hongi is like a greeting and it is when your touch noses. It is so that you share the same breathe of air. 

After the welcoming was done we went out into the Whare Kai and washed our hands. Before we went into the eating place Matua T said a Karakia to bless the food. Then we went into the eating house and we were aloud 1 savory 1 piece of cake and 1 piece of apple. 

After we were all finished eating we went back into the meeting place and sat in a circle to do our mihis. After everyone had said their mihis Matua T told us about what all of the carvings on the walls meant. He also told us about the parts of the Wharenui. I already knew about the parts of the Whare because we learnt about that last year. 

After that we went outside and Matua told us a little bit more about the history of the Marae, and then we sang another song. Will and Sam then said Thank-you to Matua T for having us and letting us explore the Whare. 

Then we left. I had an amazing time at the Marae. I think its really cool because that is my Marae and the people that were there are all probably related to me in some way. Also Matua T talked about another marae in Bruce Bay that is also my Marae. 

I had an amazing time at the whare and I cant wait to go back and see it all again!













1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella Emily here from Grey Main School!
    I like this post because you told us all about your trip to the Marae and included a picture.
    It looks awesome even on a computer!
    What was your favourite carving?
    This reminds me of my trip to the marae.
    Maybe next time you could do your post shorter.
    Best of luck,
    Emily.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.